Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Big D

On Sunday, I finally went to Dallas. I've been hanging out here in the 'burbs for weeks now. But we had a guest for the weekend and I wanted to show her something a little more exciting than our little town.

I can't exactly say I succeeded. It is Dallas, after all. Not the most happening city in the nation, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

But we ended up having a nice day. Brad drove us all in and parked by his office. So that was the first exciting thing we saw. Then we rode around on the DART (light rail) for a bit and ended up in an area called West End. Other cities (I can think of at least one, anyway) have areas with that same name but this was a little different. Just a few blocks of restaurants, mostly chains. We ended up at a Mexican restaurant (possibly not a chain) and had a nice, very filling lunch.

Then we walked to the art museum. This turned out to be great as they have a really big hands-on kids area. They had texture rubbings, drawing, and craft materials. And a special craft room where the kids made crowns. Susanna and I did do a quick tour of some of the galleries, but Ben was quite happy to stay in the kids' area (with Brad.)

Overall the city was quiet. It seems like there are nice bits scattered around, but you have to know where you are going. London its not, but there is a bit of culture available if you look for it. And for now its the best we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment