Monday, October 5, 2009

Americanization

Its now been more than two months since we left England, and we are starting to feel more settled in Texas.

While some people still hear an accent when my kids speak (even Ben, who to us hardly seemed to have one), Brad and I have noticed that Susanna's English accent is fading fast. I was sort of surprised it held on as long as it did (I was expecting full American within a week!) But six weeks of school seems to have [mostly] done the trick.

I've also noticed a change in her handwriting. She learned to write with little curves at the bottoms of the letters, which is to help with cursive writing when the time comes. But in her recent writing samples, all the letters go straight down and stop. This change surprises me much more than the accent change.

And Ben has taken to correcting me when I use an English word instead of an American one, just like he did after we moved to England, only opposite.

All just a few more signs that we really are here and not there. But Susanna still insists that she is an English girl!

1 comment:

  1. I hope Susanna hangs on to her "English girl" in her. At least you know that your children are open to International experiences. So many people never want to venture outside the US.

    ReplyDelete