Wednesday, August 5, 2009

So this is Texas...

We have made it to Texas! It wasn't looking too promising at the airport on Sunday, but they ended up letting us on the plane and the plane was only delayed about two hours because of the thunderstorms in Philly. We even got all of our bags (only 5 of the 10 we brought from London, plus a box of carseats - we'll go back for the rest next week.) The three-hour flight seemed short.

Since arriving in the Lone Star State we've been busy. We signed Ben up for preschool, signed Susanna up for softball, and bought a house. I got to see the house the day before we bought it. Its nice. Its a good size house, but no basement (standard in TX), so it will fill up quickly. The neighborhood seems nice and the pool inviting. I'm sure we'll be happy there.

I'm looking forward to having all my things together in one place again. Right now we have some things on a boat in the Atlantic, some things sitting at DFW awaiting customs clearance, and other things in a warehouse in PA waiting for a ride to Texas. Our minivan will be shipped from PA to TX (which they say will take 2 weeks at least) and some of our bags are in PA until we go back for them. So, apart from my children, I feel like I don't know where anything is!

The area we've landed in seems great. We're about 20-25 miles north of Dallas and its just very suburban. Everywhere we look we see giant neighborhoods and giant shopping centers. Stores big and small and every chain restaurant you've ever heard of, plus lots of Tex Mex places. Most of the roads through the area are 6 lanes, but with GPS its quite easy to get around. However, so much is new that sometimes my TomTom tells me the road I'm looking for is "unpaved".

Brad is settling into work here and is enjoying being back in the U.S. firm. Because we have only one car (rental gas-guzzling Explorer), the kids and I drop him at the light rail station. I don't think public transport is quite as popular here as it is in some big cities, but its seems convenient enough for getting him to his office downtown.

Its still hard to believe that this is "home" now... though I'm sure it will soon enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment