I never really thought much about getting pest control services, especially on a preventative basis. I don't like the idea of chemicals inside or outside of my house. I don't like getting my lawn treated for weeds for the same reason (hence all the weeds instead of grass...) I want to let the kids play without worrying about it, and I don't want it being brought inside on shoes.
But... I also don't like bugs, spiders, mice, etc. Especially venomous ones. Especially inside my house.
So I called pest control and signed up for every-other-month service. They assured me (repeatedly, and without me asking) that the pesticides they use are perfectly safe for people and pets and will only hurt things with 6 or 8 legs. (They use sticky traps for mice, and promise to come collect any stuck critters immediately.)
After the guy sprayed along the baseboards inside, he ventured outside to see what awaited. The verdict was: several fire ant mounds, and a big, meaty black widow spider. He found it on a window and brought it to the door for me to see. It was bigger and fatter than I expected. After he showed me, he threw it on the ground (it was on a long-handled brush) and stepped on it.
I don't think I'll ever have sympathy for spiders again!
Ann
ReplyDeleteWe used to have our house sprayed every other month in Utah for years. I hate spiders can't find anyone to spray here, they use no chemicals in Germany. Can't even find something for the weeds!