Sunday, July 26, 2009

Looking forward...

I'm sitting here feeling sad about leaving England - doesn't take much to bring tears to my eyes right now. But I know there are things to look forward to, things I'll be glad to have back, and even things I've forgotten about...

Here are a few that come to mind:

1. Carvel... My birthday is still 2 months away, but I'm already thinking about my birthday cake, a proper Carvel cake, except all vanilla (by special order), no chocolate. I'm sure there is good cake to be had here, but I think maybe its just harder to find. And as far as ice cream cakes are concerned, there is no comparison to Carvel.

2. My washing machine... I kept my washer and dryer, since we bought them about a year and a half before we moved. Hopefully there won't be any complications once we get them set up in our Texas house. I swear I will never get behind on laundry again!!

3. Garbage disposal... I've been without before, and I know its not exactly an essential item, but they certainly are convenient sometimes.

4. Window screens... I never really appreciated the screens on my windows until about 16 months ago. Now I understand their importance. I like fresh air, and I am reeeaaally trying to be more sympathetic to bees, but please, just stay outside. Everyone is safer that way. Of course, in Texas, screens may be a moot point, as A/C is required for most of the year.

5. Closets... They're a relatively modern thing, as I've learned. I think my new house will have at least 7 of them, including the walk-in pantry (don't be jealous.) On the other hand, I will miss having a basement, since Texas doesn't have any of those. All my new closets will be quickly filled with things from my Brownstown basement... Unless of course I just leave it all with my parents...

So at least I have a few things to look forward to as my time here comes to an end. Texas will be a completely new experience for all of us, and we are all looking forward to seeing our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment