Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer vacation, day 1

So today was the first official day of summer vacation. Susanna's last day of school was last Friday (one extra day for snow in Texas!) Ben was out a week earlier, but that was just preschool.

I can't say it was the most exciting day - hopefully better days are yet to come. We spent the morning in a futile search for the children's version of a certain allergy medication that is currently unavailable due to recall. Even though this took us to three different stores, I couldn't buy much because you can't buy anything in Texas in summer unless you are taking it straight home. Tomorrow the shopping will continue, this time for a pill splitter to properly split the adult medicine I bought instead into child friendly doses (after first triple-checking with the pharmacist, of course.) Wednesday's fun will be getting my 5-year-old to learn to either swallow it or eat it crushed up on applesauce.

Its all just as well because its just to hot to go outside. Ben asked many times today to go outside and I kept putting him off. No one else was out and I knew he'd get bored quickly. Finally at 5 o'clock we got the bikes out and headed out front. We were back in at 5:05.

We did go out to play around 7 when everyone else finally came out. It was manageable, but still a bit sauna-like.

Bedtime was late, but since its summer and there is no reason to wake up early, my kids are naturally inclined to be up by 6 a.m. So I'm hoping to shift that just a bit...

We actually have a good summer planned. A few trips, a few camps, the pool... plenty to keep us busy. Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Summer! We are in school until June 16th!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stinks when it is too hot to be outside! It is muggy here today but nothing like Texas. Katelyn has one and half more weeks of school. We move in 18days...getting excited.

    ReplyDelete